The Epsom Derby Festival is coming up soon, so Ewell-based milliner Jessica Connelly shares six top tips for picking the right hat for a day at the races on Ladies’ Day.
- Your race-day outfit isn't complete without the right hat or headpiece. It's the perfect way to bring a bit of personality to your outfit. Remember it's essential to find the right hat/head piece to help complement the outfit.
- You should be able to put your hat or headpiece on and not have to touch it to keep it in place.
Jessica Connelly is the founder of Jessica Rea Millinery
- For a timeless, elegant look always opt for wearing your hair up if wearing a headpiece and for a hat a chignon to either left or right.
- There is a style of hat or headpiece to suit everyone. If your face is round and full then look for something that adds a little more height. If your face is narrow try a wide-brimmed hat.
- There aren’t any rules about whether your accessories and outfit should be matching. Having said that, I love making sure my shoes, handbag and hat are all matching and are a big statement. There is even a fabulous company (called Rainbow Shoes) which offers hand-dyed shoes and handbag. This means you can make sure your accessories match – it’s a girl’s dream!
- Loud, striking colour combinations are great - bold colours help to create a dynamic look.
Model Vogue Williams and 2016 best dressed winner Katherine Wheatley
Investec Ladies’ Day takes place at Epsom Downs Racecourse on June 2.
The Style Award has prizes of more than £7,000 to be given to the racegoers who are the most dressed to impress, including a week’s all-inclusive holiday to Mexico for two people, Chi Chi London dresses, a bespoke hat from Jessica and tickets for Cheltenham Festival Ladies’ Day 2018.
Entry to the Style Award competition is open for guests in the Queen’s Stand and Grandstand enclosures.
Tickets for Ladies’ Day are priced from £60. More information at epsomderby.co.uk