Top tips on buying a new home
1:46pm Friday 30th March 2012
The NHBC, the UK’s leading consumer protection body for the home building industry, has produced a checklist for people thinking of buying a new home. It advises you to: - Check that the builder has a good national or local reputation – visit sites that he has built before, and chat to previous customers if possible.
- Visit the site – is it tidy and well managed? This will give another clue about the attitude of the builder and his commitment to quality.
- Before you decide to buy, you can obtain a specimen Buildmark Cover document and a free video, which explain exactly what the cover offers. Call 0844 633 1000.
- Be sure your legal representative checks your home has had the full 10-year Buildmark Cover issued before you legally complete.
- Before legal completion, check your legal representative has checked the property has received a final certificate from NHBC or from the local authority, whichever has carried out the building control inspections.
- When you’ve exchanged contracts, make sure your legal representative has sent your Buildmark documents, so that you can read them carefully as they will explain what protection you have against unforeseen problems. Keep the documents on file.
- Once you have moved in, check your new home thoroughly. Visit nhbc.co.uk/ warrantiesandcover/ homeowners/movingin.